Battle Within  

Posted by: Bethany Sue

I recently went to Barnes and Noble with my buddy T.C. I find that the only time I end up going there is when I hang out with him, which is dumb!! Don't get me wrong, he's fun to be with, but I need to go there more often! The atmosphere of that store is incredible, just peaceful and well...full of books!!!




I ended up buying two books this trip, one of them was "The Book of Questions" by Gregory Stock. If you know me, you know I like to ask a long range of random questions, and more importantly I like to meaningful (personal) questions. And this book is chalk full of them, which I feel gives me a good excuse to harass anyone who will listen with them :)

I also overly enjoy being asked questions (I mean, how can I turn down an opportunity to give out my thoughts and opinions? lol) So, even though less genuine, I kind of forced T.C. to ask me a few from the book as well. Most weren't that awe striking, but one did stand out, and ironically it has been a thought that's been floating around in my head for a while now:


"Would you rather be happy yet slow-witted and unimaginative or unhappy yet bright and creative?"


 The answer to this should be obvious, right? Everyone should choose being happy over anything else...but I find myself battling these two options. I use to be completely on the second half of the statement, perhaps not by choice...but nevertheless, that's just how it was. I liked my mind, and my thoughts, and just where I stood in general. But I certainly wasn't happy. It's been a long time since then, and lots of things have changed. I am a much happier person, don't get me wrong, but I do feel that part of me is slipping...I feel dumber...not as quick, and less able to pick up on my senses of others...this I don't like. I have a harder time connecting with the people around me, can't keep up with the overly sensed and intelligent, but still past a level of the people who are blindly happy with being blind.


I don't know precisely what I am to do with this thought, should I act and pick a side? Or should I just leave it and let it take a course? I guess each of those options leads to an obvious point though...


Oh brain of mine.

This entry was posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

I would say ride the meridian! Balanced between happy and unhappy is called good.. balance between smart and stupid is called wise, balanced between naive and witty is called humane... strike the balance and walk the line (to quote Jonny Cash), try it, you'll find it is more of a challenge to do that than either, it takes more determination, more wisdom, more suave, more effort, more wit, more though, and a higher expectation of life to accomplish it, and that cannot be said by the witty and depressed or the stupefied and elated.

Post a Comment